Sunday, July 17, 2011

Welcome one, welcome all!

I make no pretense at expertise--no grandiose proclamations of all-encompassing knowledge of the English language's idiosyncrasies and archaic syntax.

No, I am a mere bachelor graduate, who happened to major in English. I was taught grammar at the usual age in elementary school, forgot nearly all the rules immediately (as, let's face it, we most of us did), but was blessed (read: raised in an unusually literate family) with a good instinct for it. My obsession  fascination with the rules of language didn't begin until my first high school French class. Learning the grammar of another language is, I think, one of the fastest and most efficient ways of learning the grammar for one's own native tongue. The contrasts, the similarities, etc. etc. etc.

I began a half-hearted study of the (ir)regularities of English syntax and grammar, that slowly grew stronger when I got to college and realized: No one has any fucking idea what they're doing. I include professors in this unfortunate mass. How many of us, after all, answer the question, "How are you doing?" with the adjective, "Good"? I know I used to, before I re-learned the difference between adjectives and adverbs.

What do I hope to accomplish here? It's simple. I'm hoping to right the more flagrant misuses of my second-most favorite language. One reader at a time.

1 comment: